We may earn a commission when you buy using our links.
Netflix has become one of the most popular video streaming platforms. It has a well-established library of series, TV shows, and movies, but the number of content differs in every country. Take for example, Canada and the US. Currently, Netflix Canada has the third-highest number of content and needs a few more shows to reach 5,700. Meanwhile, the US Netflix library has the highest number of Netflix content worldwide, containing almost 6,000 shows that every American subscriber can enjoy watching.
Of course, there is an advantage in accessing more videos. More shows mean more reasons to binge-watch. Unfortunately, some good US Netflix shows are unavailable on Netflix Canada. If you are a Canadian subscriber, you can’t watch The Simpsons, Portlandia, Freaks and Geeks, and It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia, to name a few, and you might wonder how to get American Netflix in Canada? There are several ways to watch these shows without having to cross the border. That’s right. It is possible, and here’s how you can do it.
The Truth Behind the Unavailability of US Netflix Shows
Before giving you the methods on how to access US Netflix shows in Canada, why don’t we have the same Netflix content when we are in another country?
Wherever you are in the world, you can always access Netflix with your login details. But because of copyright laws, restrictions, and licensing agreements, you can only watch the programs that are available on the Netflix catalog made for every country. In simple terms, if you are in Canada, then you can watch Canadian shows that may not be available in other countries.
Sad, but that’s the reason why Canadian subscribers can’t watch some US Netflix programs. Besides that, the catalog changes regularly, adding new shows every week and removing some of them without prior notice.
Four Methods to Get American Netflix in Canada
Now that we have cleared that out, let’s get to know the several methods to access US Netflix in Canada. The most effective way to unblock Netflix is using a Virtual Private Network or VPN. But you can also use Domain Name System (DNS), Chrome Extension, and media players at your disposal. To make sure that you can use them properly, here is a step-by-step guide for every method.
1. Get American Netflix in Canada using Virtual Private Network (VPN)
The use of a Virtual Private Network or VPN is the best way to connect to US Netflix when you are based in Canada. It functions like a protected channel that encrypts data going through your internet service provider. It hides the geographical location of your IP address, allowing you to appear that you are in the country where you want to access a specific Netflix catalog. Once the VPN is on, you can already watch American Netflix programs in Canada.
|www.nordvpn.com NordVPN Review|
|www.expressvpn.com ExpressVPN Review|
|www.cyberghostvpn.com CyberGhost Review|
Setting Up VPN
Before enjoying the shows, you have to set up the VPN on any internet-enabled devices like a computer, laptop, tablet, or smart TV. There are many VPN clients to choose from, and each of them provides instructions to help you install and configure the VPN connection. You can connect it directly from your device or your router.
ExpressVPN, NordVPN, and CyberGhost are some of the best VPN providers, and each of them is using a transmission control protocol or TCP to help secure the connection. The usual types of TCP are Point-to-Point Tunneling Protocol (PPTP), Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol (L2TP), and OpenVPN, which is the safest type because of the additional security it provides.
To configure the VPN connection on your chosen device, you either set up the VPN profile manually or install another software to run the VPN. If you need to do a manual setup, go to your device’s network settings and search for the application where you have to enter the VPN server address, your username, and your password. Remember that the login details should match the details you used when you subscribed to your VPN provider.
Apparently, the Netflix catalog in the US can be tedious. Every time you want to access it, you have to run your VPN service to make it work. If the connection fails in the middle of your binge-watching, the content stops and an error appears on the screen.
Connecting a VPN from your wi-fi router is the best option if you want to access US Netflix on your smart TV or multiple devices you have at home. It’s a user-friendly setup, and you only need to do the configuration once. But how is it done?
First, you need to check your router’s model and manufacturer. If it supports VPN configuration, then there is no need for you to use additional hardware. Second, read your router’s manual to ensure that you set the VPN correctly. Third, log into the firmware menu of your device and enter the necessary details like your account information, and most importantly, the VPN server address. If you need to restart your router, make sure that you log into the system menu, then check if the VPN connection is working according to your preference.
TIP! As you search for VPN providers, you’ll come across many options, including free services. You’ll be tempted to get the service for free, but don’t expect it to be of high quality. The connectivity is slow and may not work for a long time. But if you opt for a paid VPN service, then you’ll get a stable and consistent connection while watching programs on American Netflix.
2. Get American Netflix in Canada using Domain Name System (DNS)
Another way to access the US Netflix in Canada is through Domain Name System or DNS, which directs internet traffic between servers and clients. All computers and mobile devices use DNS, that’s why we can easily connect to the internet. There is also the DNS proxy that you can use to change the route of your data without adding a separate VPN to your network. To use it in watching the US Netflix programs, your device should support a DNS proxy. Here are the steps to do it.
- Register and create a Netflix account. You need login details to access the programs on Netflix.
- Look for a DNS service that is compatible with Netflix. The most recommended is SmartDNS. Unblock Us, OverPlay and Unlocator are the best SmartDNS providers.
- Use DNS to change your internet settings. Make sure that you provide the right details whenever necessary.
- Once your DNS is set up, restart your internet to have a fresh connection. After that, log into Netflix and enjoy watching US Netflix programs.
NOTE: If you invest in a high-quality DNS service, you can actually watch Netflix even if you have no cable TV. Best of all, your identity is safe, and Netflix has no banning policies for people who use a DNS.
3. Get American Netflix in Canada using Chrome Extension
Chrome Extension is different from VPN and DNS. Security is not offered, and there is no guarantee that your identity will be hidden. But it allows you to have access to US Netflix. The process is easy, and here’s how you use Chrome Extension for your binge-watching.
- Open a browser on your computer or any mobile device at your disposal. Delete or clear the cookies, then close the browser.
- Open a browser again and install DotVPN, a Google Chrome Extension that bypasses or unblocks blocked websites.
- Click “Add to Chrome” to start the installation. Follow the directions to install the extension correctly.
- After the extension is installed, you can start accessing US Netflix while you are in Canada.
NOTE: This may be the most convenient way to watch US Netflix without fees. It’s a lite version of a VPN. But you should not be too complacent. The protection is not guaranteed like what VPN offers.
4. Get American Netflix in Canada using Android or iOS Device, and Chromecast
To take advantage of this method, you have to apply one of the first three methods mentioned above. If you have an Android (or iOS) device, install a VPN to get access to American Netflix. There are no complications here as the steps are simple.
- Choose a trusted VPN provider then create an account to use the services.
- Download the app of your chosen VPN and install it on your Android device.
- Activate the VPN app on your device and start watching your favorite US Netflix shows while you’re in Canada.
Chromecast, on the other hand, also requires a VPN to work. It allows you to broadcast shows, movies, or any content from your computer or mobile device straight to your smart TV screen. All you have to do is choose a VPN provider and download it to your computer.
If Chromecast doesn’t work on your mobile device, use an HDMI adapter and plug it into the video input of the TV. Take note that it’s much better to watch shows on a bigger screen than watching them on your laptop or mobile device.
Benefits of Watching US Netflix in Canada
- More Content – As previously stated, the Netflix library in the US has the highest number of shows, ranging from series, reality shows, documentaries, children’s shows, and exclusive movies. Aside from that, some of the best content is only available in the US, so you might as well access the online video streaming platform through the methods mentioned above.
- Cheaper – Netflix isn’t a free service. You have to pay a monthly subscription, and the Canadian prices are way cheaper than the US fees.
- Variation of Laws in Movie Distribution – When it comes to the rights of movie distribution, Canada and US laws vary from one another. Over the years, Netflix has established its name. It makes licensing agreements with participating countries individually.