We earn commissions using affiliate links.
It’s hard to imagine the Internet without YouTube nowadays. It has become such an integral part of everyone’s experience on the Internet that’s it’s impossible to ignore it.
Whether you want to watch some funny videos, short documentaries, montages, tutorials, or anything, YouTube is the right place to go. You’ll find everything you’ll ever need on the platform. Another thing a lot of people use YouTube for is to listen to music. However, YouTube has some limitations in that regard. For example, you can’t close the app and let the songs play in the background unless you own YouTube Premium. You also can’t download the audio of a video to listen to later.
While YouTube Premium is an attractive option to go for when it comes to solving these issues, it’s not a viable solution for everyone.
For people who don’t have access to YouTube Premium, YouTube to MP3 Converters is the way to go. With that said, YouTube has some restrictions when it comes to what you can download, play, lend or sell, so we recommend you check the YouTube Terms and Services before you go ahead and start downloading content.
If you’re looking for the best YouTube to MP3 converters, then you’ve come to the right place.
1. Best YouTube to MP3 Converter 2022
We have two similar entries on this list, 4K YouTube to MP3 and 4K Video Downloader, which we will go over right after this one.
When it comes to 4K YouTube to MP3, it’s easily one of the best conversion tools you can find right now. Not only does it allow you to save audio from videos like MP3, but you can also choose to convert audio to m4A and OGG if you need. You can choose from different bitrates.
If being able to convert to multiple audio formats was not enough for you, it’s also possible to convert videos from a wide range of websites, including Flickr, Vimeo, SoundCloud, Facebook, and more. All you need to do is to copy the address from your web browser, then click on Paste URL to get started.
Even better is that you don’t have to install any extra software, unlike a lot of other options, and upgrading to the premium version is really easy. There’s only a one-time fee to pay, and once you get premium, you’ll be able to download entire playlists. There’s just nothing that comes to mind in terms of criticism.
You can use 4K YouTube to MP3 for free, and you’ll get a lot of impressive features. However, you can opt for one of three plans. The first two are 4K Video Downloader and 4K YouTube to MP3, each of which costs $15 for three computers. The third relevant plan is 4K Download Bundle for $65.
- Has no extra bundled software or adware.
- You can choose from multiple audio formats.
- Intuitive and easy to use.
- Support for multiple video sites.
- The app is only available for Windows
- You need a paid license to download playlists
Any Video Converter Free is the go-to option for people who want a flexible and fast YouTube to MP3 converter. This tool allows you to convert videos into other formats. This also means that you can convert videos to MP3.
You can use Any Video Converter Free for a lot of things aside from just converting YouTube videos to MP3, which is why the program is surprisingly big for something that just does MP3 conversions.
Using the software couldn’t be easier. All you have to do is copy the URL of the YouTube video you want to convert into the program then waiting for the download to complete. Once that’s done, set the output format to MP3 and click on Convert Now.
As the name clearly states, this is a free video converter that you can get for windows as well as Mac platforms. You can opt for Any Video Converter Ultimate, which costs $49.95, or AVC Pro, which costs $39.95. Both paid plans come with a 30-days money-back guarantee along with free upgrades and lifetime customer support.
- You can edit and trim videos.
- Change the frame rate, audiovisual quality, bit rates, etc.
- Support for a litany of video inputs and outputs.
- The premium version can record and capture video screens.
- The paid version comes with lifetime free updates and customer support.
- Batch conversion is possible.
- No browser extension.
- The free version doesn’t include DVD templates.
Wondershare UniConverter is an amazing conversion tool for people who also want a lot of options for editing as well as quick conversion speeds. You can use this tool for a lot of things, including, but not limited to, burning DVDs, editing videos as well as converting video and audio.
You can get Wondershare UniConverter for Windows and Mac. What you’ll be getting is a program with robust editing tools, including an audio, webcam, and screen recorder. You can even add watermarks, subtitles, merge videos, crop media and adjust the speed of the video.
Furthermore, you can get more advanced features in the form of add-ons for the software. Whether you’re looking for a robust conversion tool or a simple YouTube to MP3 converter, Wondershare UniConverter is a great choice.
If you’re just looking for a basic video converter, you can use this software for free. However, if you’re interested in its advanced features, then you have a choice between three types of licenses:
- The annual plan will run you $39.99 a year.
- The 2-year plan will run you $59.99 a year.
- The perpetual plan is a lifetime license for $79.99.
- Solid editing features.
- Great for DVD file editing as well as creating Blu-Rays.
- Support for a lot of devices.
- Intuitive user interface.
- Offers a free version.
- Blu-ray editing feature is only available for Windows devices.
- Higher pricing than most of the options on this list.
As we mentioned earlier, 4K Video Downloader and 4K YouTube to MP3 are very similar. Both are excellent conversion tools.
Naturally, they are also similar in terms of how you use them. However, As the name of this software implies, 4K Video Downloader is mostly used for downloading videos. This means that there are a couple of extra steps involved in the process. What you need to do is copy the URL of the video you want to convert, then click on Paste URL. In order to convert to an audio format, you’re going to need to select Extract Audio and choose one between MP3, OGG, or M4A, then click Extract and Voilà!
If you opt for the free version, you’ll be able to download up to 24 videos in a playlist which is great if you’re looking to grab multiple songs quickly. If you want to download longer playlists, you’re going to need to buy a license key.
This is another area where 4k Video Downloader and 4k YouTube to MP3 are similar. Both tools have the exact same pricing model. 4k Downloader offers three licenses that include YouTube to MP3 conversion:
- 4K Video Downloader, which costs $15
- 4K YouTube to MP3, which costs $15
- 4K Download Bundle, which includes four tools and costs $65
All of those licenses can be used on up to three computers.
- You can download playlists.
- No obnoxious and invasive ads.
- You can download video captions.
- You can download videos in 4K and 8K.
- No editing tools included.
- Playlists that are longer than 24 require the paid version.
YTMP3 is an amazing choice if you’re looking for a quick and simple converter with little to no headaches. You can use YTMP3 on any internet browser. All you need is the URL of the video that you want to convert to MP3. You won’t be bombarded by ads, annoying toolbars, obnoxious popups, or anything of the like. This is a huge plus seeing how intrusive many so-called converters are, some even putting your computer at risk of being infected by adware.
If you’re looking for a converter for personal use, you won’t find anything simpler and more adequate than YTMP3. However, simplicity is the name of the game here, for better or worse. YTMP3 only allows you to convert YouTube videos to MP3 or MP4 files, and it has no extra bells and whistles. The only somewhat extra feature would be the ability to toggle between dark and light mode.
With that said, having a completely free and non-intrusive converter like YTMP3 that you can access on your internet browser should be more than enough for most people.
As we were saying, YTMP3 is completely free. There are no fees to pay.
- The perfect tool for personal use if you’re just looking for a YouTube to MP3 converter.
- No signup or download is needed to use YTMP3.
- Quick download speeds.
- Clear and intuitive user interface. No fake or intrusive buttons coming from ads.
- You won’t run the risk of getting infected by a virus or bombarded by ads
- No batch conversion feature.
- You can’t control the quality of your download.
- You can’t convert videos longer than 90 minutes.
- You can only convert videos in the public domain.
1.6 aTube Catcher
This is one of the most well-known converters that you can find on the web. It has 200,000,000 downloads. One of the reasons behind its popularity is how versatile it is. aTube Catcher is both a video downloader and a screen recorder for Windows. It allows you to download videos and even create DVDs and CDs.
aTube Catcher is entirely free to use. However, you can choose to donate if you want to support the people behind it.
- You have a litany of options when converting videos like MP2, MP3, MP4, FLAC, WAV, and GIF.
- It has a built-in screen recorder.
- It’s downloadable and perfect for personal use.
- It features a simple drag-and-drop video editor.
- You’re able to perform batch and playlist conversions.
- aTube Catcher is mostly optimized for YouTube, so the results for other websites won’t be as good.
- It’s only available on Windows
- The website for aTube Catcher looks outdated.
Freemake is a great video converter that’s loved by more than 103 million users. It’s definitely an option that’s worth considering. Not only is Freemake completely free to use, but it also allows you to convert videos into more than 500 different formats. No matter which video format you need to convert into, Freemake is sure to satisfy your needs.
Just like most entries on this list, you can also use it to burn DVDs, make photo slideshows, edit videos, and more. You can also embed videos onto the website along with converting subtitles, along with all you would expect from a solid video editing tool.
The main ‘selling point,’ so to speak, is how ‘dumb easy’ Freemake is to use as the people behind it like to describe it. It has an intuitive user interface that follows the three clicks rule where no task should take you more than three clicks to get to.
Freemake has two versions, a free one that contains all of the basic features, and a pro package priced at a measly $19 as a one-time payment.
- You can use it on various platforms
- Over 500 formats you can convert videos in to make it one of the most versatile tools on the market by far.
- Comes with solid video editing tools.
- You can download subtitles.
- You can switch between four languages.
- The free version applies a watermark to your videos. The only way to remove it is to opt for the pro package.
- Conversions can be a bit slow compared to other converters.
SnapDownloader is among the most popular YouTube to MP3 converters that you can find right now.
If you’re looking for the best converter in terms of audio quality, then SnapDownloader fits the bill. It’s very similar to 4K Video Downloader, which is by far one of the best at preserving the audio quality of the converted video. If that’s not enough to get you onboard, you can also use SnapDownloader to download YouTube videos which makes it very versatile.
SnapDownloader is filled to the brim with great features, such as the fact that it converts audio automatically. You won’t need to specify it manually since it will download it along with the video. Furthermore, it supports more than 900 platforms, so you can use it for YouTube video conversions and downloading but also on a plethora of other websites and platforms. Lastly, SnapDownloader comes with a build-in YouTube search which makes it even more convenient than it already is.
SnapDownloader has three pricing tiers as follows:
- The “Monthly Subscription” is a license that can be used on one computer for $3.99 a month.
- The “Annual Subscription” is a license that can be used on one computer for $19.99 a year.
- The “Personal Edition” is a lifetime license that can be used on one computer for $29.99.
- The “Family Edition” is a lifetime license that can be used on three computers for $54.99.
Naturally, if you’re looking for the best value, the Family edition is by far the best option. $54.99 for three computers and a lifetime license for such a robust and useful program is an amazing offer.
On top of that, SnapDownloader offers a 30-day money-back guarantee for annual and lifetime licenses and a 24-hour money-back guarantee for monthly licenses, so you have ample time to test out the software. If, for whatever reason, you didn’t like it or don’t want to go through with the payment during the first 30 days, you can contact their 24/7 support and get a refund.
- You can download videos between 720p and 8k.
- Intuitive and easy-to-navigate user interface that’s better than the majority of the options you’ll find.
- You can convert to MP3, MP4, M4A, WAV, AVI, AAC, and AIFF
- Excellent 24/7 customer support that’s always available.
- You can download in bulk up to 15 videos simultaneously.
- There is no free plan, but considering how much this converter has to offer, along with the generous 30-day money-back guarantee, it’s hardly an issue.
When it comes to ease of use, you can’t find anything simpler and more straightforward than ClipGrab. It’s a surprisingly quick and equally effective video converter that you can access on your browser. Whether you need it for personal use or for your business, ClipGrab is a great option. However, you’ll need to install it first in order to start using it.
There are a lot of features that ClipGrab offers that make it a great option. For instance, ClipGrab supports a lot of platforms such as YouTube, Facebook, Dailymotion, Vimeo, and more. It also allows you to convert videos into six different formats such as MP3, MPEG4, OGG Vorbis, OGG Theora, and WMV. Lastly, ClipGrab lets you control the quality of the video you want to convert.
ClipGrab is entirely free to use with no paid plans. You can donate to support the project if you find it useful.
- Conversions are very fast
- It automatically detects if there’s a link in your clipboard and downloads it.
- ClipGrab is available on Windows, Linux, Mac, and more.
- It includes a comprehensive FAQ page detailing how to download and convert videos from each platform.
- There’s a helpful users forum.
- You can download the audio from video source files.
- You can include ID3 tags via video metadata.
- It features a built-in clipboard monitor.
- ClipGrab can’t be installed on iPad and iPhone
- It’s a downloadable program.
- Provides basic functionalities with no paid plans that add an extra one.
Last but not least on this list, Converto is a simple and effective free converter. You can use it to save YouTube videos as either an MP3 or MP4 file. It’s also online, so you don’t need to download anything to use it.
Some of the main features of Converto include automatically adding the album cover for your download. Converto also allows you to edit the names of the files your download along with adding ID3 tags. There’s also a simple video editor that allows you to cut certain parts of the video if need be. Finally, you can control the video quality before you download it, which is always a welcome feature.
Converto is completely free to use.
- Converting videos to MP3 or MP4 only takes one step. All you have to do is copy-paste the URL, then press ‘Convert.’
- It’s online, so no download is needed.
- No intrusive ads to ruin your experience.
- Conversions are very quick to both MP3 and MP4 formats
- Support 10 different languages
- Convoluted user interface
- Very rudimentary features with very little use outside of personal conversions.
- It can only convert videos that are available in the public domain. You can’t convert videos that aren’t on the Internet.
2. Honorable Mentions
Ontiva is a great YouTube downloader that can convert videos into audio while preserving the audio quality. You can use Ontiva to convert YouTube videos to either MP3 or MP4 format.
Furthermore, Ontiva features a built-in audio cutting tool. This means that you can choose to download only the parts you want in a video without having to download the whole thing and cut it using other software.
Converting a video with Ontiva is also very simple. All you have to do is copy the URL of the video into the text bar, wait for Ontiva to fetch all the information such as the video title, description, and other details, then all that’s left to do is to click on the download button, and you’ll have yourself an MP3 file in 320 Kbps.
What we didn’t like about Ontiva is that you need to log in if you want to use it to convert videos. Even though the signup process is quick and painless, it feels like the tool would have been a lot better off without the need to go through the signup process to begin with.
Key highlights: 320Kbps support, built-in audio cutter, thumbnail download, GIF generator, elegant user interface.
One of the advantages of using MP3download is that it allows you to search directly in the platform for videos that you want to download. If you can’t find your video using the platform’s search functionality, you can always do it the classic way and copy-paste the URL of the video you want to convert.
Moreover, MP3download.to also features a built-in audio cutter if you only want to download a specific part of the video audio. You can also choose the quality that you’re going to download. You can set the bitrate anywhere between 64Kbps to 320Kbps. Lastly, MP3download.to can also convert videos into WAV or FLAC formats.
Key highlights: Built-in video search and audio cutter, 320Kbps support, support for MP3/WAV/FLAC.
YouTubetoMP3 is a very convenient converter. Not only does it allow you to download high-quality audio, but it also comes with its own built-in YouTube search option, which means that you don’t have to switch between different tabs to fetch the URL of the video that you want to convert.
This tool also has a simple user interface and even allows you to save your converted files directly to Dropbox or Google Drive. Additionally, you don’t have to sign up on the website in order to use it, and you can even convert videos from Vimeo, Facebook, and other platforms.
Another innovative feature on offer is the QR code generation tool which allows you to download the videos you convert onto your mobile device as well. All you have to do is to convert the video as you would on any other platform, but this time, you’ll get a QR code you can scan with your mobile device, and it will automatically download the file for you.
Key highlights: Built-in YouTube search, 320Kbps support, Dropbox and Google Drive integration, QR code access.
If you’re looking for a quick and easy-to-use tool for converting YouTube videos to MP3, this is a great option to use. All you need to do is paste the video URL into the text field, wait for it to be converted then download it.
There is no limit to how many videos you can convert. There are no overly complicated features or extra bells and whistles. The process is as simple and pure as can be. GO-MP3 also doesn’t collect user data.
With that said, the website features misleading ads sometimes that can resemble fake download buttons or system popups, so be careful not to click on them.
Key highlights: easy-to-use, Simple user interface, Fast and unlimited conversions.
YT1s.com is another simple and quick online converter. It’s great if you’re looking for a quick and simple way to download a couple of videos and convert them to audio for free.
YT1s.com also allows you to convert videos into MP4 format if you want. The great thing about using YT1s.com is that you don’t have to worry about compromising the audio quality of the videos you convert since the conversion process does a great job at preserving the audio quality.
As we mentioned above, YT1s.com is very easy to use. You can choose to either search the video on the website or directly paste the video URL if you have it already. Next, click on “Convert MP3”, choose the bitrate you want to download the video in, then click on “Get Link,” and voilà! You have successfully downloaded the MP3 file.
With that said, you need to be very careful when you’re using YT1s.com since it has a lot of fake ads and misleading buttons. Just keep in mind that the only two buttons you’ll ever need to click are “Convert MP3” and “Get Link.”
Key highlights: 320Kbps support, Quick conversions
3. YouTube to MP3 converter FAQ
Why should I use a YouTube to MP3 converter?
Considering how, nowadays, there are a lot of options for listening to music, such as Amazon Music and Spotify, a YouTube to MP3 converter fills a slightly different purpose.
The biggest advantage to using a converter is that it’s free, for the most part. The main functionality of saving music is free, and if you want some added quality of life features, you can pay for them.
Additionally, there is no shortage of converters, so you’re practically spoiled for choice.
When it comes to services like Spotify and Amazon music, even though they have a free version, the user is highly incentivized to opt for a subscription. This is because the free version is usually stripped of a lot of features and even interrupts your listening experience between songs by cramming ads.
Another advantage of using a converter is that you only need to convert a song once, so you can keep it on your computer and listen to it whenever you want. You can also move it around or download it to your mobile devices, or burn it on a DVD. A lot of options we mentioned on the list even allow you to cut certain parts so you can even create a ringtone of your favorite song.
All in all, YouTube to MP3 converters offer a lot of flexibility.
Is converting YouTube videos to MP3 legal?
This is a fair question. According to Express.co.uk, it goes against the US copyright law to use a YouTube converter to download copyrighted content. However, it’s perfectly legal to use a converter to download an MP3 file of a YouTube video.
It’s worth keeping in mind that there’s YouTube Red which is a subscription service that allows you to legally download YouTube videos.
What should I look for in a YouTube to MP3 converter?
It can be very hard to tell the differences between different YouTube to MP3 converters. This is because they all fill the same basic task, and they all are used in a very similar fashion.
With that said, there are some nuances that you should look out for. It’s also important that you know exactly what you need the converter for, whether it’s for personal or professional use.
Naturally, the most important factor to consider is the converter’s ability to preserve the converted video’s audio quality.
There might come times where you’ll need to download a bunch of videos and convert them. While it’s possible to do convert videos one by one, some converters offer a batch download feature. If you’re going to need something like that often, you’ll want to look for a converter that offers that feature.
In some cases, you might find yourself downloading a video in a foreign language that has subtitles. Thankfully, some converters allow you to also save the video’s subtitles. However, you’ll need to specifically look for converters that offer that feature.
If you need to download specific clips of videos to use for editing, then you might want to look for a converter that has a built-in editor. This will make your life a whole lot easier.
Not all YouTube to MP3 converters are created equal when it comes to conversion speed. Some can take longer than others, so if speed matter to you, then you should probably put this factor into consideration.
4. How do I use YouTube to MP3 converters?
Before converting a video, it’s best that you verify if you have permission from the author to download the video. Infringing on copyright is punishable by law.
Once you’re sure you can download the video, the process is rather simple:
- Find the video: First and foremost, you need to find the video you want to download then copy its URL. Some converters have a built-in feature that allows you to search for video
- Paste the link: Paste the link of the video into the converter’s text box. If you have used the search feature, then you probably won’t need to do this step.
- Choose the format: Most of the tools you’ll find offer multiple formats you can convert to. Choose the format that you need.
- Choose the quality: This is straightforward. Once you have selected the format, you can select the quality. The higher the quality, the slower the download.
- Download: Click on “convert” or “download” and enjoy!
5. Are desktop converters worth it?
The reason online converters are more commonly used is because of how convenient they can be. You won’t need to go through any install or setup process, and you’ll be able to convert all the videos you need.
With that said, this doesn’t mean that desktop converters are inferior. In fact, a lot of the time, desktop converters have more features that can make your life easier. For instance, a lot of desktop converters offer batch downloads which is a godsend if you’re looking to download an album or a playlist of videos.
6. Can I convert YouTube to MP3 Offline?
The short answer is no. In order to convert YouTube videos to MP3, you’ll need to have an Internet connection. Even if you use a desktop converter, you’ll still need an internet connection to download the MP3 file of the video.